“Springtime is the land awakening. The March winds are the morning yawn.”
– Quoted by Lewis Grizzard in Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I Love You
It’s the LAST Friday in March. Really! Here are a few reasons I’m hunkering down with Happiness. What about you? Tell me!
1. Enjoying a short visit with my parents up in Ball Ground (North Georgia) this week. Dad’s 91, mom’s 87. This September they will have been married 71 years!
2. Going down to Jacksonville’s Times-Union Center to see a theatrical production of I Love Lucy.
3. Speaking of plays, watching grandson Gabriel in The Three Piggy Opera at Savannah Country Day School this morning.
4. Relishing the eerie beauty of Amelia Island fog last weekend.
5. Embracing the necessity and obligation of throwing away/letting go from time to time.
He picked up a pebble and threw it into the sea.
And another, and another. He couldn’t stop.
He wasn’t trying to fill the sea. He wasn’t trying to empty the beach.
He was just throwing away, nothing else but.
Like a kitten playing he was practicing for the future
When there’ll be so many things he’ll want to throw away
If only his fingers will unclench and let them go.
— from The Poems of Norman MacCaig (Birlinn, 2009)
But don’t throw away your joy this weekend!
What a Joyful Week in Savannah. Here are a few reasons why.
1. St. Patricking in Irish-laden Savannah. A few pics from the season:
(Picture below is from my second-floor window, looking down on the parade.)
2. Agreeing with this beautifully true affirmation:
3. Loving grandfathering.
(Daniel and Gabriel up at Lake Oconee earlier today.)
4. Attending yesterday’s opening concert in the Savannah Music Festival. An incredible bluegrass group–Balsam Range.
5. The recent rain clearing away some of Savannah’s pollen.
Breathe joyfully this weekend!
“May you have:
A world of wishes at your command.
God and his angels close to hand.
Friends and family their love impart,
and Irish blessings in your heart!”
— An Irish Blessing
A few pics from yesterday’s pre-St. Patrick’s Day Tara Feis (festival) here in Savannah.
And a few pics of St Patty artwork from grandsons Daniel and Gabriel.
I love this short video which illustrates the journey and ultimate brevity of life. I encourage you to take a moment and watch it.
For, really, we are all her.
What a Great Day–it’s Happy Friday the 13th. Let’s declare it a Wonderful Day, a Joyful Day, a Lucky Day!
And here come Five More reasons I’m hunkering down with happy.
1. Getting Wicked at the Fox theatre in Atlanta last Sunday.
(I also saw it on Broadway a few months after it opened years ago. This Atl production rivaled NY in nearly every way. So good!)
2. Getting holy at the Celtic Cross Ceremony here in Savannah last Sunday. This beautiful event commemorates the long and storied Irish Catholic heritage in our city (and is one of the earlier St. Patrick Day season festivities).
3. The bittersweet ending of Winter Quarter at SCAD–the Savannah College of Art and Design–where I teach as an adjunct in Language Studio. Bitter because I’ll miss my incredibly talented and fun students, sweet because the term is OVER! Here are some of my students (and me) yesterday:
5. Grandtwin Madison’s new Hello Kitty ball.