I LOVE early December. The excitement. The anticipation. The advent. And of course I/we all love Friday. Here are Five Friday Happy Bringers.
1. Attending last night’s opening of the new Savannah Telfair Museum exhibit, Offering of the Angels: Paintings and Tapestries from the Uffizi Gallery. Beforehand I heard a fascinating lecture about the Uffizi–Florence Italy’s renowned art museum, which houses an incredible collection of Italian Renaissance master works. About a decade ago I saw firsthand the Uffizi when my older daughter Amy was studying abroad in Italy. (I somehow managed to finagle a trip over there to teach one of her classes on gender studies for a couple of days. I also got horribly lost one night walking alone, Gelato-filled, in Verona and couldn’t remember the name of my hotel. Or the location. But that’s another story.)
Here are a few of the Renaissance pictures on display at the Telfair:
Wait, sorry. Of course, that’s just me inviting you up the stairs to the art treasures. Behind me is the spread of Italian delicacies I had been munching on only minutes before. (Btw, those wealthy arts patrons sure do like cheese.) And here I am only seconds before, trying to decide if I’m too stuffed with marinated olives and flatbread pizza to wobble up and look at the pictures.
A sampling of the pantings:
2. Christmas speciality coffees.
3. Finishing the hard-to-put-down Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Afterlife.
4. Watching as gorgeous downtown Savannah gets decorated for the holidays.
5. Getting my first Christmas card of the season.
Find joy this weekend!