Archive for July, 2014
Warm (literally) Friday Greetings from Savannah!. Five reasons I’m smiling today:
1. Meeting new friends simply by walking down River Street. These folks are from Colorado and love visiting our city.
2. Grandtwins Madison and Matthew in a rare quiet moment.
3. Attending the coolest (figuratively) outdoor wedding for buddies Dominique and Amber at the Savannah Quarters Country Club.
The bride stole the show with her dazzling smile, but then, don’t most brides?
4. This quote attributed to Hippocrates: “Let food be thy medicine.” Last night I finished watching the incredibly encouraging and insightful documentary, Forks Over Knives, about the importance of eating more plant-based food. Watch it! It might change your life and health.
I have been changing more and more toward a diet consisting primarily of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans/legumes, and nuts, but this movie convinced me to speed up my efforts! Recent meals:
5. Truly believing that It Is Such a Joy to Be Alive!
It comes No Surprise to me (and probably many of you) that more and more studies are popping up which show that watching/listening to/reading bad news is a contributing factor to stress and depression. Duh. (Similar to my Unpopular Belief that watching gratuitously violent movies is a contributing factor to the violence in our world today.)
A while back I published a post, News? Whose?, about this very issue, coming to the conclusion that it’s probably best NOT to spend large amounts of time in front of the “news.”
Well, here’s a recent NPR story, “Bingeing On Bad News Can Fuel Daily Stress,” about news and stress. You can either listen to it or read it. It’s short.
Read or listen to it HERE.
Wait, did I just ask you to read or listen to bad news?!
But the positive idea is that we should probably turn away from being INUNDATED with bad news. It’s one thing to be informed, another to be inundated.
See my post that I mentioned above for some links to good news sites–there really are some!