It’s the LAST Friday in March. Really! Here are a few reasons I’m hunkering down with Happiness. What about you? Tell me!
1. Enjoying a short visit with my parents up in Ball Ground (North Georgia) this week. Dad’s 91, mom’s 87. This September they will have been married 71 years!
2. Going down to Jacksonville’s Times-Union Center to see a theatrical production of I Love Lucy.
3. Speaking of plays, watching grandson Gabriel in The Three Piggy Opera at Savannah Country Day School this morning.
4. Relishing the eerie beauty of Amelia Island fog last weekend.
5. Embracing the necessity and obligation of throwing away/letting go from time to time.
He picked up a pebble and threw it into the sea.
And another, and another. He couldn’t stop.
He wasn’t trying to fill the sea. He wasn’t trying to empty the beach.
He was just throwing away, nothing else but.
Like a kitten playing he was practicing for the future
When there’ll be so many things he’ll want to throw away
If only his fingers will unclench and let them go.
— from The Poems of Norman MacCaig (Birlinn, 2009)
But don’t throw away your joy this weekend!