“Love is, without a doubt, the basis of everything. Not some abstract, hard-to-fathom kind of love but the day-to-day kind that everyone knows–the kind of love we feel when we look at our spouse and our children, or even our animals. In its purest and most powerful form, this love is not jealous or selfish, but unconditional. This is the reality of realities, the incomprehensibly glorious truth of truths that lives and breathes at the core of everything that exists or ever will exist, and no remotely accurate understanding of who and what we are can be achieved by anyone who does not know it, and embody it in all of their actions.”
— Eben Alexander, M.D., Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Afterlife
I LOVE early December. The excitement. The anticipation. The advent. And of course I/we all love Friday. Here are Five Friday Happy Bringers.
1. Attending last night’s opening of the new Savannah Telfair Museum exhibit, Offering of the Angels: Paintings and Tapestries from the Uffizi Gallery. Beforehand I heard a fascinating lecture about the Uffizi–Florence Italy’s renowned art museum, which houses an incredible collection of Italian Renaissance master works. About a decade ago I saw firsthand the Uffizi when my older daughter Amy was studying abroad in Italy. (I somehow managed to finagle a trip over there to teach one of her classes on gender studies for a couple of days. I also got horribly lost one night walking alone, Gelato-filled, in Verona and couldn’t remember the name of my hotel. Or the location. But that’s another story.)
Here are a few of the Renaissance pictures on display at the Telfair:
Wait, sorry. Of course, that’s just me inviting you up the stairs to the art treasures. Behind me is the spread of Italian delicacies I had been munching on only minutes before. (Btw, those wealthy arts patrons sure do like cheese.) And here I am only seconds before, trying to decide if I’m too stuffed with marinated olives and flatbread pizza to wobble up and look at the pictures.
A sampling of the pantings:
2. Christmas speciality coffees.
3. Finishing the hard-to-put-down Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Afterlife.
4. Watching as gorgeous downtown Savannah gets decorated for the holidays.
5. Getting my first Christmas card of the season.
Find joy this weekend!