The Absent Smile

Yes I admit it, I’m an optimist.  Pollyanna’s a very good buddy.  (See Feb 8 post about Pollyanna).  We took tap dancing together.

What I mean is I’m USUALLY a somewhat cheery person.  But not always.  Take this morning, for example.  I underwent a fairly unpleasant medical procedure.  (I’m a big baby when it comes to anything that hurts at a .5 or higher on a 1-10 pain level.)

Here I am in the waiting room, reading:

Finally I was called back to the procedure room but had to wait quite a while.  The doctor was running behind.  I got bored and started playing with the IPhone’s reverse camera capability:

I looked at these pictures, grimaced at their muted and otherworldly haziness, realized I wasn’t smiling–and started to delete them.

Then it hit me.

Get real, Neal.  It’s okay not to smile.  It’s okay to be muted and hazy.

8 responses to this post.

1. Posted by Ellen Hendrix on February 15, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I’m deconstructing your post: “The doctor was running behind.” Colonoscopy perhaps? No matter. I hope all went well.

2. Posted by jbjoy on February 16, 2012 at 5:27 AM

No smile and yet…so photogenic anyway!

3. Posted by Amanda on February 16, 2012 at 5:33 AM

hahaha… Ellen, I worked for gastroenterologists for 5 years before I moved from Virginia. I will always appreciate a good colonoscopy joke. : )

4. There is no smiling in the gastro chair, that’s for sure. 🙂 Plus, if people smiled ALL the time, where would the sexy pout be? Just think of Neely O’Hara in Valley of the Dolls — if Patty Duke smiled the whole time, how would she chew through so much scenery? I think everyone is due a Neely day, especially when waiting for a not-so-fun procedure!

5. Posted by Amy Bosch on February 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Well, you’re not smiling, but at least you are well dressed…

• Ty for noticing, Amy. I always try to dress up a little whenever I go to the doctor, the airport, Ikea or any restaurant that doesn’t have a Dollar Menu.

6. Posted by Nick Glazier on February 20, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I just wanted to say have you gone around campus noticing how people do not smile? I have but I have also noticed something interesting, upon occasion I will lock eyes with someone and they will smile back. This is one of the best feelings. Your blog made me think of that.