This blog category is the journaling and journey-ing of my quest to say (with cautious sincerity) “Hello, Anxiety” and to take a look at the condition from my “me-andering” views.
I’ve had requests for an easier-to-print copy of my anxiety protocol. Here’s another look at the entire protocol, followed by the downloadable copy.
NPA — NEAL’S PROTOCOL FOR ANXIETY
All strategies are done “intentionally.” For ex, “I sit in this meditation practice with the intention that my current anxious experience will improve.”
FOR BOTH THE MENTAL AND THE PHYSICAL PARTS
(How I can attend to the experience in my mind and my body.)
• Meditation — any of my saved meditations from 10% Happier, Buddify or meditation on my own without guidance.
• Slow Side-to-Side Head Movement — Noticing colors, shapes, loved items, etc.
• Inhaling and Exhaling — “Breathing in, I calm the mind. Breathing out, I calm the mind. Breathing in, I calm the body. Breathing out, I calm the body.” — In through the nose. Out through pursed lips (like through a straw). — In, cool. Out, warm.
• Hot soothing teas
FOR THE MENTAL PART
(How I can attend to the experience in my mind.)
• Recognize anxiety as a part of my experience right now. Maybe even speak to it. “Hello, anxiety.”
• Assign anxiety a number from 1 to 10.
• Verbal self messages/affirmations. “I have felt this way before, and I always make it through.” “My anxiety level is at a six, but it is not at a 10.“ “This anxiety is like the tides, ever changing. In and out.” “If I keep breathing, which I will, sooner or later, I will feel better.”
FOR THE PHYSICAL PART
(How I can attend to the experience in my body.)
• Tai Chi/Qigong, Stretching, Walking, Exercising
• Warm shower/cold shower
• Essential oils/Aromatherapy
• Medication, including Buspirone, my Albuterol inhaler and chewable Benadryl
2 thoughts on “Hello, Anxiety: “NPA —Neal’s Protocol for Anxiety” Printable Copy”
Mental health is very important and sharing your techniques will be a resource for many! I downloaded a copy.
LikeLiked by 1 person