Here it is:
“Oh Saye, Can You See?
It’s pretty embarrassing. The way we seem to get the holidays connected to our military all mixed up. It’s about 4:30 on MEMORIAL DAY 2015, and I have already heard at least half a dozen folks yelling “HAPPY Memorial Day!” Or, as happened a few minutes ago, a sincere man coming up to Robert and me–and shaking the hand of Robert (retired Army), exclaiming, “Thank you for your service!” And while good-natured, neither response is actually appropriate.
Memorial Day, of course, is a day set aside for paying tribute to and remembering, with thanksgiving, all those who gave their lives while serving our country in the military.
Here’s a great little article explaining the difference between Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day:
And here’s a beautiful photo essay about Memorial Day:
Meaningful, Appreciative Memorial Day to you all today!
MAY — an incredibly joyful month, don’t you think?
Five Reasons for Happy:
1. An early morning walk along the McQueens-Tybee Island trail (between Savannah and Tybee Island–10 mins from my apartment).
2. Grandson Daniel in his end-of-year Who Am I? Research Biography presentation. (He was Paul McCartney, btw.)
(Okay. okay, maybe I helped him a little with the tri-board.)
(He could only get such coolness from his grandfather. Seriously.)
The kids had to explain their research, poster-board-presentation-style, to the folks in attendance.
They do that kinda stuff nowadays in 2nd Grade?! Research?! All I did in 2nd grade was spend a year of trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to stop crying for mama.
3. Being a judge for the 2015 Savannah Authors Anthology. Such fun!
(I want to be a judge … full time. And get paid. Exorbitantly. Call me if you or yours need high-end judging.)
4. Getting 2015 Beach Ready.
5. Seafood at Safe Harbor in Mayport, FL. (After taking the ferry across the St. John’s River on the south end of Amelia Island.)
Safe, Joyful Weekend ahead to you all!